*See the Farm*

Sunday, April 25, 2010

Buttermilk Answers

We have received a few questions about buttermilk lately.

Although we make farm-fresh butter available to  our cow-share holders, learning to create a traditional food is always empowering. To that end, we want to share some very informative links to help you educate your self and your family on butter, cultured  buttermilk (what is found in the stores) , and  old-fashioned buttermilk.

It was my intention to write this article by myself. However, as I researched the web for more information, I was astounded to find all you need with just a few, quick, clicks.

 This first link is copyrighted by  David B. Fankhauser, Ph.D.,Professor of Biology and Chemistry  at the University of Cincinnati Clermont College. I found this  to be the easiest for me to read and the most informative. 

The second link is written in a very easy-to-read format and, in my opinion, is great for those of us with an adventurous 'can-do' spirit.

I hope that these links help you to  become more informed  as you  begin your own journey into the world of buttermilk making. Good luck!

*Don't forget!! This Wednesday (April 28) is Pine Grove Farm's sheep shearing day! We hope to see you and some friends join us for an afternoon (2-4) of fun and learning. You'll get to take home a pinch of raw fleece and the Farmer's Wife will be on hand to answer any questions about farm life and our cow-share program.*
(Suggested  donation of $3/person 9 & under are free!) 

No comments:

 
54488-246-B013F07106C32DF2EF747DAD18B9EF5E