*See the Farm*

Sunday, April 11, 2010

A Little Oops, and Making Butter

On the last post we forgot to show you a picture of our almost completed green house! Oops! So here she is, frame and all...


 Isn't the door wonderful? We promise to show you the inside as soon as it's done so keep an eye out.

 Today was a wonderful day for baking here. The barometer was just right for bread dough, and since the bread tastes so much better when made with fresh buttermilk, I needed to start with my cream. 

 

I'm not sure the reason why, but cream will whip better and just 'work' better when left for 3 days. So after I seperated my cream earlier this week, I let it stay in the fridge for a few days to rest. To begin working it today I poured it into a gallon sized jar because it's gonna need  the room. After that I sat down next to my husband and talked while I shook the jar from side to side.
 


It took about 15 minutes until I had my butter sloshing around in my jar, but there it was! So easy and so very good for you!

 

I poured the contents through a strainer in order to remove the butter from the buttermilk. After the buttermilk had been set back inthe fridge, I placed my butter onto a chilled plate. (I use enamel ware plates here and they freeze up great!) I then took my small wooden spatula and bagan working out all of the buttermilk under cold water. Flatten and mound, flatten and mound, flatten and mound, rinse, rinse.

When all of the buttermilk was washed away, I added a few pinches of salt and workd it into my butter. Next, it was formed into a ball and that was it! So easy!




Warning: this is so yummy that you may just get too spoiled to use store bought butter on your bread again. =)

Have a great week!
~Heidi

No comments:

 
54488-246-B013F07106C32DF2EF747DAD18B9EF5E